Skip to main content

11 - What Makes Someone a Hero?







“I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people.”
                                                         -Maya Angelou






What is a hero?  The definition of a hero is someone who is admired for their bravery or dauntlessness.




I'm sure you all know these heroes: Jose Rizal, Andres Bonifacio, Apolinario Mabini, Gen. Luna, and even the soldiers. And I'm also sure that you're all well-aware of the fact that they all fought for the sake of our country. You're probably thinking “So I have to die in order to be considered as a hero?”  Being a hero is not always about dying for your country or fighting in a war.  It doesn't always mean that you have to risk your life and you don't have to be a superhero. In fact, anyone could be a hero. You could also be a hero. I could also be a hero. We all could, but it’s up to ourselves. It’s our choice to become a hero. Heroes are not any different from ordinary people. We’re all the same. It’s just their bravery that makes us any different from our national heroes, but it’s not always about the bravery. It’s also about doing what you think is the right thing.  

Saving a cat from a tree. Helping someone put out a fire until the firemen have arrived. Helping out someone who is being robbed. Helping out street children. As simple as these may be, they count as an act of bravery. You could also give some advice to someone who has a problem and that is a heroic act because you tried to help, and helping also means saving. And those are considered as heroism. You see? You don’t need to be shot like Jose Rizal did just to become a hero. And most importantly, you don’t need to be known by everyone to be considered a hero. It’s not about the fame you get for being distinguished as a hero, but knowing that you did the right thing.

Like the quote said: “I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people.” So it doesn’t only mean that you need to do something that would risk your life, but also something that would contribute to the world. Even if it’s just a very little thing.  Don’t you think that making this a better place is an act of heroism? Well, I do. I agree that making our world a better place is indeed an act of heroism. Because as I’ve said, you don’t have always have to do something dangerous to be called a hero.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 - MNL Adventures

Last August 14, 2015, we had a shooting for the AVP of our speech choir, relating to the poem "I am Filipino." First, they gad a shooting at APC's Discussion Room. After that, we went to the LRT station. The lines were long, but not long enough that the trains are crowded. In fact, the train we rode was kinda roomy. It was just John, Eugene, Fevy, and I because we got separated with others, so we just met at Central Station. When we got to Central Station and met up with the others, we went to SM Manila to buy some props. Well, they did. John, Fevy, and I went to eat lunch at the food court. We kind of took so long at SM. And after that, we walked from SM Manila to Fort Santiago. It was a very, very long walk, mind you and it was very hot. We were all so haggard and sweaty. By the time we got there, it was already afternoon. I think it was 2-ish? Anyway, we took several pictures there while the others had their "shoot." I was one of the last ones to be

15 - Anti-Smoking Campaign

  Why are cigarettes legal? That is the question that ran in my head so many times, to be honest. I'm curious as to why they are legal and marijuana is not.  I'm just really curious because think about it: Marijuana doesn't really kill people, but cigarettes do. Marijuana is addictive, but so are cigarettes. Marijuana can cure sickness, but cigarettes don't. I'm not trying to say that marijuana is good and that it should be legal, no. My point is, shouldn't it also be illegal? I think it threatens people's health more than marijuana. Cigarettes are deadly. I think cigarettes should be illegal because not only it affects the smoker, but also other people who likes to keep themselves healthy, like me. I'm not smoking for a reason and that is to keep myself healthy, but how could I if people around me are smoking?  Second-hand smoking is even more dangerous than first-hand. Smokers exhale it, then other people would inhale it. I hate to be blunt, but

1 - Island Hopping (Part 1)

Last summer, we went to Marinduque for a reunion. The reunion was held last May 1, 2015. But we (my cousins and I) weren't really excited for the family reunion. Don't get me wrong. I was also excited for the reunion but not that excited. ✌ Our parents knew that we had some other plans. We were planning to visit the 3 islands in Sta. Cruz, Marinduque. I thought that we won't go anymore because the reunion ended quite late, so everyone was tired. But not me. Well, maybe I was a bit tired... But I was really excited to go island hopping. Luckily, they're still up for it. So the next morning, we traveled to Sta. Cruz Port because that's where we're supposed to ride a boat to the islands. I was kind of annoyed when we got there because the trip to the port already took 2 hours and now they're taking too long to get us on a boat. We went to 3 islands in Sta. Cruz: Mongpong Island, Maniwaya Island, and Palad Sandbar. Mongpong Island   The first isl